The first appointments to the Board of Health Data Research UK (HDR UK) the enw data science and health research institute, have been made.
HDR UK will develop and apply cutting-edge data science tools and techniques to address the most pressing health research challenges facing patients and the public.
The members of the HDR UK non-executive Board are:
- Dr Graham Spittle CBE (Chair) was until recently IBM's Chief Technology Officer, Europe, and Vice President, Software Group. Dr Spittle took on the role of Interim Chair HDR UK in July 2016.
- Professor Sir Alex Markham is Director of the Leeds MRC Medical Bioinformatics Centre, Chairman of the Lister Institute of Preventive Medicine and Chair of the OSCHR Health Informatics Group.
- Professor Jonathan Montgomery is Chair of the Nuffield Council on Bioethics and Chair of the Health Research Authority.
- Professor Sir Jim Smith was Deputy CEO and Chief of Strategy at the MRC and Director of Research at the Francis Crick Institute prior to joining Wellcome as Director of Science.
- Professor Dame Janet Thornton was Director of EMBL-EBI until 2015 and played a key role in ELIXIR, the pan-European infrastructure for biological data.
- David Zahn is Head of European Fixed Income at Franklin Templeton Investments, a Board member at The Health Foundation and a Trustee of the Medical Research Foundation.
The board first convened on 9th November. The appointment of the non-executive Board follows the announcement in March of Professor Andrew Morris as Director of HDR UK and confirmation of Dr Graham Spittle’s appointment as Chair of the Board.
Members of the board share responsibility for the effective governance and development of HDR UK.
HDR UK is an independent, not-for-profit compant established through a joint investment led by the MRC.